Types of Learning Disabilities
By Ann Logsdon, About.com Guide
- What are Learning Disabilities?
- Learning Disabilities in Reading, Dyslexia
- Dysgraphia and Learning Disabilities in Writing
- Learning Disabilities in Math, Dyscalculia
- Learning Disabilities in Language, Communication
- Behavior Disorders with Learning Disabilities
What are Learning Disabilities?
Learn about learning disabilities. If your child is one of the millions who have learning disabilities, learn what you need to know to understand these disorders and to help your child learn. Find facts about the various types specific learning disabilities, related learning disorders, and mental health issues that can affect your child's education and everyday life.
- What is a Learning Disability?
- Learning Disabilities - Getting a Diagnosis
- Recognizing Early Signs of Learning Disabilities
- Characteristics of Learning Disabilities
- Recognizing Signs of Learning Disabilities in Elementary Years
Learning Disabilities in Reading, Dyslexia
Types of Reading Disabilities - The IDEA defines two main types of learning disabilities in reading. Learning disabilities in basic reading skills involve the foundational skills required to understand the relationship between letters, sounds, and the words they represent. Reading comprehension disabilities involve complex thinking skills such as understanding words, phrases and larger meanings of passages. Learn more about learning disabilities in reading and other diagnostic terms such as Dyslexia.
- Reading and Dyslexia - Learning Disabilities in Reading
- Learning Disabilities in Reading Comprehension
- Diagnosing Dyslexia
- Assessment and Instruction for Reading Disabilities and Dyslexia
- Assessing and Diagnosing Learning Disorders
Dysgraphia and Learning Disabilities in Writing
Learning Disabilities in Writing - Does your child struggle with writing? If you suspect a type of learning disability, find information you need to understand writing disorders. Learning disabilities in basic writing skills include neurologically-based difficulty with producing written words and letters. Expressive writing disabilities may involve comprehending and organizing written thoughts on paper. Find information you need to help your child with learning disabilities in writing and other writing disorders, such as Dysgraphia.
- Learning Disabilities in Basic Writing Skills
- Expressive Writing Disabilities
- Learning Disabilities in Writing, Dysgraphia
Learning Disabilities in Math, Dyscalculia
Learning Disabilities in Math - If your child struggles with math calculation or problem solving, you suspect a type of learning disability. Learn what you need to know about learning disabilities in basic math, applied math skills, and other disorders such as dyscalculia. Find information and resources you need to determine if further assessment is needed.
- Learning Disability (LD) in Basic Math Skills
- Learning Disabilities in Applied Math - Understanding LDs in Math
Learning Disabilities in Language, Communication
Learning Disabilities in Language - There are several types of learning disabilities in language. Students with language based learning disabilities may have difficulty with understanding or producing spoken language, or both. Receptive language disorder is a type of learning disability affecting the ability to understand spoken, and sometimes written, language. Learn more about the types of language disabilities and how to recognize them.
- Receptive Language Disability - LDs in Listening Comprehension
- Learning Disabilities in Expressive Language - Disorders of Communication
Behavior Disorders with Learning Disabilities
Children with learning disabilities sometimes have behavioral problems. In some cases, problems with behavior may involve medical conditions such as attention deficit disorders. In other cases, behaviors may result from frustration with learning or learned because of environmental factors at school, home, or both. Learn about the types of behavior problems that may be occur with learning disabilities.