Even the sensation of clothing on skin or the temperature in a room can be a distraction in ADD. An attention deficit exists when the brain cannot maintain focus on important information. People with ADD cannot filter out unimportant information or prioritize important information. Problems controlling impulsive behaviors and thoughts are common.
- Inability to attend to a teachers' instructions.
- Auditory and visual confusion.
- Memory problems are common.
- Hypersensitivity to visual and tactile sensations may exist as well in ADD. Those with the disorder may feel overwhelmed by pulsing fluorescent light or electrical sounds.
- People with ADD may feel overwhelmed by large assignments. Processing directions is difficult as well. Complex problem solving is likely to be difficult.
- Hyper-sensitive olfactory systems can also be a problem for people with ADD. An attention deficit may cause everyday smells to seem overwhelming.