1. Health
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

Connecticut - Where to Find Disability Assistance in Connecticut

State Disability Resources for Connecticut


Updated February 06, 2009

If your child has a disability, and you do not know where to find help, check out this list of essential resources available in your state. These essential contacts offer the most commonly needed services and can provide you with referrals to other appropriate services as well. If you have difficulty contacting any of these resources, please feel free to email me at: learningdisabilities@aboutguide.com.

1. Department of Education - Special Education - Ages 3 - 21

States' departments of education oversee disability education services to children. It monitors school districts for compliance with IDEA and state special education regulations. The Department of Education handles formal complaints, due process hearings, and mediation on special education issues.

Bureau of Special Education
Department of Education

165 Capitol Avenue, Room 360
Hartford CT 06106
Telephone: (860) 713-6912
Website: Special Education Programs

2. Infants, Toddlers, and Preschoolers with Disabilities

Infant and early childhood programs provide services to infants and young children with disabilities such as developmental instruction, and speech, physical, and occupational therapies.

Birth to Age Three:
Connecticut Birth to Three System
Department of Developmental Services
460 Capitol Avenue
Hartford, CT 06106-1308
Telephone: (866) 888-4188
Website: Early Intervention Programs
Ages Three to Five:
Connecticut Department of Education
165 Capitol Avenue
Hartford CT 06106
Telephone: ((860) 713-6788
Website: Early Childhood Programs

3. State Vocational Rehabilitation Agency

Vocational rehabilitation services help people with disabilities live more independent lives by providing education, support, and services to assist them with becoming employed. The department works with middle schools, high schools, and higher education to help students with disabilities access appropriate supports for employment and independence such as job coaching, teaching skills, support in job placement, assistive and adaptive supports, and more.

Bureau of Rehabilitation Services
Department of Social Services
25 Sigourney Street
Hartford, CT 06134
Telephone: (860) 424-4848
Website: Vocational Rehabilitation

4. Mental Health Services Agency

State mental health agencies provide services to individuals and families dealing with mental illness, mental retardation, and substance abuse. Services include advocacy, nursing home screening, psychiatric services, intervention, coordination of treatment, case management, and more.

Department of Mental Health and Addiction Services
410 Capitol Avenue P.O. Box 341431
Telephone: (860)418-7000
Toll Free: (800)446-7348
TTY: (860)418-6707 or TTY Toll free: (888) 621-3551 Hartford, CT 06134 Website: Mental Health services

5. Disability Advocacy Services

Protection and advocacy offices offer information and referrals relating to disability issues, a resource database for self-advocacy, education and training in disability rights, and individual case advocacy.

Office of Protection & Advocacy for Persons with Disabilities
60 B Weston Street
Hartford CT 06120-1551
Telephone: (860) 297-4300 (860) 297-4380 (TTY)
Toll Free: (800) 842-7303 (Voice and TTY inside Connecticut)
Website: The Legal Center

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.