Definition: Ageism toward senior citizens is a form of discrimination. Ageism involves:
- Bias against seniors;
- Negative stereotypes against seniors;
- Devaluing of senior contributions;
- Belief that a senior is not capable of performing as well as younger people in the workplace;
- Policies and practices that place a senior at a disadvantage;
- Failure or refusal to provide accommodations to seniors to enable participation;
- Excessive or unwarranted limitations placed on freedoms and life choices;
- Discriminating against seniors in decision-making, promotional opportunities; and
- Denial of services or opportunities because of age.
Also Known As: age discrimination, senior discrimination, age related discrimination, senior prejudice, bias against seniors
Examples:Ageism is discrimination against senior citizens on the basis of negative perceptions.