Why is an Educational Records Review Needed?:
Educational Records Review Includes Folders:
- History of programs attended;
- Attendance records;
- Previous support services provided to the child or family;
- Educational performance history;
- Grade reports;
- Standardized achievement test results as required by the state or local district;
- Discipline and behavior records;
- Names of past teachers who may be available for further research on the student's educational history;
- Records of the number of times a student may have moved and changed schools; and
- Student health records.
Review Includes Special Education Records:
Students with a history of placement in special education will also have a special education folder. These are typically stored separately from the cumulative folders to protect the child's confidentiality rights. Only educators with a legitimate educational interest in the child have access to the folder. Special education folders typically include current and any previous placements and services.