1. Health
You can opt-out at any time. Please refer to our privacy policy for contact information.

Colorado Developmental Disability Assistance

State Develpmental Disability Resources for Colorado


Updated May 17, 2009

Developmental disabilities involve complex needs. Find area resources for Colorado where you can get help. These essential developmental disability contacts offer the most commonly needed services for people with developmental disabilities. If you have difficulty contacting any of these resources, please feel free to email me at: learningdisabilities@aboutguide.com, and I'll try to help.

1. Department of Education - Special Education - Ages 3 - 21

The California Department of Education Exceptional Student Services Unit oversees disability education services to children. It monitors school districts for compliance with IDEA and state special education regulations. The Department of Education handles formal complaints, due process hearings, and mediation on special education issues.

Colorado Department of Education
Exceptional Student Services Unit

201 E. Colfax Avenue
Sacramento CA 95814
Telephone: (303) 866-6694
Website: Department of Education Exceptional Children

2. Infants, Toddlers, and Preschoolers with Disabilities

Infant and early childhood programs provide services to infants and young children with disabilities such as developmental instruction, and speech, physical, and occupational therapies.

Birth to Age Two:
CDHS-Division for Developmental Disabilities
Early Childhood Connections
3824 W. Princeton Circle
Denver CO 80236
Telephone: ((303) 866-7657
Website: Early Intervention Colorado
Ages Three to Five:
Early Childhood Initiatives
Colorado Department of Education

201 E. Colfax Avenue, Room 305
Denver, CO 80203
Telephone: (303)866-6709 or (303)866-6712
Toll Free: (888) 777-4041
Website: Early Childhood Initiatives

3. State Vocational Rehabilitation Agency

Vocational rehabilitation services help people with disabilities live more independent lives by providing education, support, and services to assist them with becoming employed. The department works with middle schools, high schools, and higher education to help students with disabilities access appropriate supports for employment and independence such as job coaching, teaching skills, support in job placement, assistive and adaptive supports, and more.

Division of Vocational Rehabilitation
Department of Human Services
1575 Sherman, 4th Floor
Denver CO 80203
Telephone: (303) 866-4150
TTY - Telephone: (916) 263-7477
Website: Vocational Rehabilitation

4. Mental Health Services Agency

State mental health agencies provide services to individuals and families dealing with mental illness, mental retardation, and substance abuse. Services include advocacy, nursing home screening, psychiatric services, intervention, coordination of treatment, case management, and more.

Mental Health/Alcohol and Drug Abuse Division
Colorado Department of Human Services

3824 W. Princeton Circle
Denver, CO 80236
Telephone: (303) 866-7400
Website: Department of Human services

5. Disability Advocacy Services

Protection and advocacy offices offer information and referrals relating to disability issues, a resource database for self-advocacy, education and training in disability rights, and individual case advocacy.

The Legal Center for People with Disabilities and Older People
455 Sherman Street, Suite 130
Denver, CO 80203
Telephone: (303) 722-0300
Toll Free: (800) 288-1376 (In Colorado)
Website: The Legal Center

6. Programs for People with Developmental Disabilities

These organizations publish literature, report on research, and help you find local resources to address complex medical, self-care, and educational needs.

Division for Developmental Disabilities
3824 W. Princeton Circle
Denver, CO 80236
303) 866-7467

Colorado Developmental Disabilities Council (CDDC)
3401 Quebec Street, Suite 6009
Denver, CO 80207
(720) 941-0176

7. Programs for Children with Special Health Care Needs

The Children's Health Insurance Program (CHIP)provides medical care for children from families who meet low-income guidelines.
Programs for Children with Special Health Care Needs
Health Care Program For Children with Special Needs (HCP)
Department of Public Health and Environment
4300 Cherry Creek Drive South, Room A410
Denver, CO 80246-1530
(303) 692-2370
(800) 688-7777

State CHIP Program
(health care for low-income uninsured children) Child Health Plan Plus
P.O. Box 929
Denver, CO 80201-0929
(800) 359-1991

Family Voices
801 Yosemite Street
Denver, CO 80230
(303) 691-9339 ext. 1128

8. Blind or Visually Impaired or Deafblind Services

Programs for Children and Youth who are Blind or Visually Impaired or Deaf-blind
Project Director of Colorado Services for Children and Youth who have Combined Vision and Hearing Loss
Exceptional Student Leadership Unit
Colorado Department of Education
201 E. Colfax Avenue
Denver, CO 80203
(303) 866-6681

9. Programs for Children and Youth who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing

The Exceptional Student Leadership Unit Colorado Department of Education
201 E. Colfax Avenue
Denver, CO 80203
(303) 866-6909

Telecommunications Relay Services for Individuals who are Deaf, Hard of Hearing, or with Speech Impairments
(800) 659-3656 (V) (800) 659-2656 (TTY); 711 (TTY) (877) 659-4279 (Speech to Speech)

10. Regional ADA Technical Assistance Center

The DBTAC Rocky Mountain ADA Center provides information on the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA)to Colorado, Utah, Montana, Wyoming, North Dakota and South Dakota.
Meeting the Challenge, Inc.
3630 Sinton Road, Suite 103
Colorado Springs, CO 80907
(719) 444-0268 (V/TTY)
(800) 949-4232 (V/TTY)

©2014 About.com. All rights reserved.